Saturday 7 July 2012

Summer break and San Francisco

It is summer and I will take some time off blogging. The remaining weeks of July will be quiet, and then I am back in August. Until then you should read Frames (the new online film journal I have been co-editing).

For no apparent reason I will leave you with some clips set in San Francisco. The first is the intro to a TV series I used to watch when I was young. I do not remember a single episode, but the title sequence I know by heart.



Here is the title sequence for Bullitt (Peter Yates 1968).



Obviously, Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock 1958).



Here is that scene from Dirty Harry (Don Siegel 1971).



And here we have Roger Moore and Christopher Walken fighting on the Golden Gate bridge in A View To a Kill (John Glen 1985).



The Maltese Falcon (John Huston 1941), D.O.A. (Rudolph Maté 1950), The Sniper (Edward Dmytryk 1952) and Experiment in Terror (Blake Edwards 1962) are some great films that would also fit in this post,  and then there is Zodiac (David Fincher 2007), but I will end with a film written by Woody Allen, which unexpectedly is set in San Francisco. Play It Again, Sam (Herbert Ross 1972).